--Unless you have already entirely finished responding to each of the prompts for your "Significant Passage 'Speed Dating'" passage, take out your materials from last class and finish preparing.
*I WILL COME AROUND AND RETURN YOUR "BEFORE" AND "AFTER" PICTURES THAT I FORGOT TO GIVE BACK LAST TIME.*
S. the C.
Discussion Activity--Preparation (cont.) -- Significant Passage "Speed Dating"
--independent work time--finish preparing for the discussion activity by responding to each of the prompts for your passage (10 mins.)
--During this time, students who were able to entirely finish preparing last class are to engage in free reading.
Discussion Activity -- Significant Passage "Speed Dating"
--let's familiarize ourselves with speed dating:
--give directions for the remainder of activity
- the student with his/her back facing east stays stationary throughout the activity
- the student with his/her back facing east starts each "date" by reading his/her selected passage aloud
- the student with his/her back facing west aims to complete tasks A, B, C, and D (explaining how the selected passage could be used in a discussion of his/her claim)
- the student with his/her back facing east validates/corrects before sharing how the passage fits with his/her claim
- roles reverse
- "dates" end after 6 minutes
- students with backs facing west rotate by heading south
--Pick up an index card from the front table. Write your name at the top of the lined side.
--On the lined side of your index card, finish the following prompt in a fairly detailed manner:
- "During today's "Significant Passage 'Speed Dating'" discussion activity for Lord of the Flies, I realized/concluded/learned that..."
--On the back of your index card, complete the following tasks:
- Score the effectiveness of today's discussion activity using the following scale:
- Briefly justify your score
--Complete 45 minutes of Membean training as directed before 11:59 PM on Thursday, 3/9. Expect Vocabulary Quiz#5 to occur next week sometime. If you fail to appropriately train between now and the administration of Vocabulary Quiz #5, you will not be permitted to take the quiz until you catch up (see the "Membean Routine" document).
HW (Class Preparation)
--Review your materials pertaining to LotF in preparation for an upcoming assessment.
--Consider reading at least 5-10 pages of your free reading book between now and next class. Marking Period 4 ends on Friday, 3/17! ALWAYS BRING YOUR FREE READING BOOK TO CLASS.