--Pick up an index card from the front table. Write your name at the top of the lined side of the card. Then, respond to the key question driving the activities that took place last class:
- How might recognizing and understanding different types of propaganda impact important decisions that you make now and in the future?
--pair/share with regard to the “Jump Off”
- The Essential Question that Drives Our Course: By nature, are human beings inherently good or evil or…?
--Pick up the following items from the front table:
- your scored and commented-upon copy of Article of the Week #1
- the “Article of the Week #2 (10/31-11/4)” document
- a half-index card
- your scored and commented-upon “Thematic Writing Assignment—Partner Interviews” essay
- the “Feedback Analysis: Thematic Writing Assignment—Partner Interviews” document
- Take-Home Assessment/Classwork Check System
- The Four Cs of Quality Academic Writing
- HEDI Scale for Feedback/Scoring
--a few notes:
- Who picked up on the sensationalism? Let’s talk about it!
- what was scored and why
- what was commented upon, but not scored and why
- Q & A
--purposefully read the information located in the box on the front page of the Article of the Week #2 document and, if time permits, get started on the task at hand
--What is our purpose when we read this article?
Writing Workshop – Thematic Writing Assignment—Partner Interviews (12-15 mins.)
--Come up with a random nickname for yourself that I can use to convey information to the class in a non-threatening manner (e.g., Jonah Martin--"Max Tivoli"). Write both your first and last name and the nickname on your half-index card. I will be around to collect nicknames momentarily.
--What is the “gist” of the Cumulative Writing Portfolio?
--list of students needing to revise for the Cumulative Writing Portfolio shared
--read the “Feedback Analysis: Thematic Writing Assignment—Partner Interviews” document directions
--use of the “Feedback Analysis” document modeled with a student introduction
--Any advice for our approach to next class block when everyone is present?
Structured “Study Hall”
--engage in one of the following:
- active/purposeful reading of Article of the Week #2
- outlining/writing the Article of the Week #2 written response
- processing feedback and handwriting initial revisions for your thematic essay
HW (Practice/Take-Home Assessment)
--Complete a total of 45 minutes of Membean training as directed before 11:59 PM on Thursday, 11/10. If you fail to appropriately train between now and the administration of Vocabulary Quiz #3, you will not be permitted to take the quiz until you catch up (see the “Membean Routine” document).
HW (Take-Home Assessment)
--Finish your work with Article of the Week #2, which is due at the beginning of class next time (Tuesday, 11/8). This task will include purposefully reading the directions in the box on the front page, responding in the box where necessary, and completing your best work with regard to the directions. Good luck!
--The due date for submitting a revised Thematic Writing Assignment—Partner Interviews essay for the Cumulative Writing Portfolio is Friday, 12/8 (approximately one month from today)—YOU MUST schedule a meeting with me to go over your revisions; simply handing in the revisions is unacceptable as per the protocol. When time permits, meetings can/will occur during class time.
--Read your free reading book for at least 15 minutes between now and next class. ALWAYS BRING YOUR FREE READING BOOK TO CLASS. You have up until the first week of December to finish your book.
--Enjoy the weekend—you only get so many of ‘em! :)