--Engage in some last-minute studying quietly and independently.
--When I direct you to do so, pick up the Unit #4 vocabulary assessment from the front table. Complete the quiz quietly and independently. Make sure to purposefully read all of the directions. Good luck!
S. the C.
--As part of today's vocabulary quiz, I am aiming to assess your ability to:
- know and use accurately domain-specific words, sufficient for reading and writing at the college and career readiness level (ALSO ASSESSED VIA WRITING WORKSHOP CLOSURE IF WE GET TO IT).
- determine the meaning of a word by using context (e.g., the overall meaning of a sentence and/or a word’s position or function in a sentence) as a clue to the meaning of the word.
--Today, we will continue working on:
- developing and strengthening writing as needed by revising, editing, rewriting, or trying a new approach, focusing on addressing what is most significant for a specific purpose and audience.
- writing routinely over extended time frames, including time for reflection and revision.
--The due date for submission is Thursday, 1/15/2014 (ACE) or Friday, 1/16/2014 (BDF)--a little under one month from today!
--Reminder: Any writing piece that has already received a score of 80% or higher can be given back to me for submission today if the writer of the piece chooses not to revise.
--When you finish with the vocabulary quiz, place your completed assessment in the black basket on the front table. Then, do the following:
BLOCK 1 BDF ONLY:
- Take out both your "Feedback Analysis: "St. Lucy's..." End-of-Mini-Unit Writing Assignment" document and your copy of the writing piece.
- BLOCK 1 BDF ONLY: Pick up the sheet titled "Feedback Analysis: "St. Lucy's..." End-of-Mini-Unit Writing Assignment" from the front table and read the directions.
- Read your free reading book until everyone is ready to move forward.
BLOCK 1 BDF ONLY:
--writing assignments returned (along with AoW #6) for quiet and independent feedback analysis
--independent work time--during this time, students with specific questions can meet with me as per the order established on the front board
--whole-group share-out ("I wrote...in the category...")/Q & A ("For the category, I wasn't sure what you meant by...")--notes/"mini-lessons" added to the sample halfsheet on the front board/handwritten revisions started on copy of the writing piece--TAKE NOTES EITHER IN YOUR NOTEBOOK OR ON THE FRONT/BACK OF YOUR HALFSHEET
Transition -- when finished, submit your writing assignment (if you are not required/do not intend to make revisions)
Closure -- "When I complete my revisions OR On my next writing assignment, I will make sure to..."
- Based on today's self-reflection, specifically complete the sentence-starter above on an index card (I'll bring you one!).
- You must properly use at least one Unit #4 vocabulary word somewhere within what you write
- WHEN FINISHED, SUBMIT YOUR INDEX CARD TO MR. MARTIN. MAKE SURE THAT THE CARD INCLUDES YOUR NAME.
--students without books will read Upfront Magazine
--The due date for submitting a revised "'St. Lucy's...' End-of-Mini-Unit Writing Assignment" for the Cumulative Writing Portfolio is Thursday, 1/15/2014 (ACE) or Friday, 1/16/2014 (BDF)--a little under one month from today! Upon returning from break, you will have approximately two weeks to "take care of business", so plan accordingly. Remember that YOU MUST schedule a meeting with me to go over your revisions; simply handing in the revisions is unacceptable as per the protocol. When time permits, meetings can/will occur during class time.
--I will be after school both today and tomorrow if you'd like to stay and work on revisions. Be proactive!
--Read your free reading book for at least 15 minutes between now and next class. Your book must be finished by late-January. ALWAYS BRING YOUR FREE READING BOOK TO CLASS.
--i-Ready should really be finished before break. See me if you need a pass to the lab or if you would like to see your results.
--Enjoy break! We have over half of a month off--we're lucky.