--Engage in some last-minute studying for the vocabulary quiz quietly and independently.
--When Mr. Martin directs you to do so, pick up the Unit #7 vocabulary quiz from the front table. Complete the quiz quietly and independently. Good luck!
S. the C.
--trade and grade--return quizzes to rightful owners--reflect on performance and note still-not-mastered words in your vocabulary book--Mr. Martin collects quizzes
--The following students need to see Mr. Martin at the end of class today:
- Billy M.
- Jenna B.
- Jay M.
- Jeremiah V.
--The following student still has not submitted the Monomyth Writing Assignment:
THIS STUDENT HAS BEEN AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE REFERRED FOR CENTRAL DETENTION AS PER POLICY UNTIL HIS/HER WRITING PIECE AND MINDFULLY COMPLETED "GRADING WORKSHEET" IS SUBMITTED. AS PER USUAL, I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP!
--Today’s objectives moving forward:
- Continue honing literary analysis skills (especially related to authorial purpose) via discussion and writing skills via practice
- More deeply understand Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 of Anne McCaffrey’s Dragonsong
- Compile comprehensive notes from which to study for future assessments pertaining to Dragonsong
- Become more confident in your ability to contribute at a high level to discussions about challenging topics via practice
Discussion Preparation – Dragonsong Chapter 1 and Chapter 2
--Take out your notebook, date the page (3/24/2014), and label this section of your notebook “Dragonsong Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 Discussion.”
--Mr. Martin shares an exemplar written in complete sentences for #9 the homework (Chapter 1 document)--complete/update this section of your document accordingly:
- On pages 8 and 9, Menolly overhears a conversation involving Mavi, Soreel, and some others. These individuals are discussing who will replace Petiron in teaching the children following Petiron’s death. Soreel suggests that Menolly would be good for the job. This is dramatic irony, a contrast between what readers and characters know, because Menolly and the reader both know that Menolly has heard the contents of the discussion while hiding in the corridor, but those individuals conversing in Petiron’s room have no idea that Menolly is within earshot. If this scene did not exist, Menolly might not realize that some hold members (e.g., Soreel) actually think that she is a capable musician/teacher. Her hopes might be raised as a result of realizing that not everyone agrees with her traditional parents, making her less apt to give up on her dreams. Also, readers’ curiosity is raised, as they are wondering will Menolly be allowed to act as harper? Will Yanus realize that not everyone agrees with his stereotypical viewpoints?
--Independent work time--complete an additional question/prompt from the Chapter 1 document in complete sentences, striving for quality similar to that of the exemplar.
--Mr. Martin models both using a Chapter 1 document response and using a Post-it Note to contribute meaningfully to discussion.
--Plan one definite contribution for the upcoming discussion of Dragonsong.
--Mr. Martin shares the discussion protocol (one contribution minimum/three contributions maximum--no third contribution until all have contributed once :)).
--Mr. Martin shares the "Discussion Contribution Rating Scale" as a reminder.
--Form a circle out of the desks alphabetically by middle name. (Mr. Martin’s middle name is “Dale”…no big deal….)
Discussion -- Dragonsong Chapter 1 and Chapter 2
--Engage in discussion as per the protocol, making sure to hit as many of the questions as we can.
--Mr. Martin takes notes on the front board under the appropriate topic headings--complete/update your Chapter 1 document accordingly/write down notes in your notebook.
--Re-row the desks and pick up the homework sheet for Chapter 3.
--HW rationale explained--project Chapter 1 "alternative sheet" on the front board.
--For HW, purposefully and actively read Chapter 3 and complete the "Chapter 3--Notetaking/Discussion Preparation" sheet.
Closure -- Final Countdown (time permitting)
--Purposefully and actively read Chapter 3 of Dragonsong by completing the "Chapter 3--Notetaking/Discussion Preparation" sheet.
--YOU MUST BRING YOUR DRAGONSONG BOOK TO CLASS EVERY DAY BETWEEN NOW AND THE END OF THE DRAGONSONG UNIT. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR BOOK, EXPECT CONSEQUENCES FOR LACK OF PREPARATION.