--Submit your mindfully completed homework assignment (question #1 and question #2 under "Step #3" of the "Reading Nonfiction Document" for "The Death of the Author").
--Engage in some last-minute studying quietly and independently.
--When Mr. Martin directs you to do so, pick up the Unit #7 vocabulary quiz from the front table. Complete the quiz quietly and independently. Good luck!
*As students study/complete the quiz, Mr. Martin scores the homework using the following scale:
- /+ (100) = Commendable effort; content of work itself is in the effective to highly effective range
- / (80) = Content of work itself is developing due to either lack of complete effort (e.g., not writing a complete sentence or sentences for #1) or lack of understanding
- /- (50) = The work is essentially incomplete (HR detention assigned)
- 0 = Not done at all or same exact responses as a peer (HR detention assigned)
--trade and grade--return quizzes to rightful owners--reflect on performance and note still-not-mastered words in your vocabulary book--Mr. Martin collects quizzes
"Pair"/Share (continued from last block) -- Roland Barthes' "The Death of the Author" (1967)
- Submit your mostly-scored vocabulary quiz and take out your copy of "The Death of the Author."
- Get back in your groups from last class and pick up one laptop per group. Mr. Martin will be around with the flashdrive so that you can re-access your PowerPoint slides in order to finalize your notes before sharing.
- Finish creating your notes as per the guidelines written up on the front board.
- Once the notes are finished, come to a consensus about who is responsible for sharing what when going over the notes in front of the rest of the class.
- AS YOU WORK, MR. MARTIN WILL RETURN YOUR HOMEWORK.
- WHEN YOUR GROUP FINISHES, FLAG DOWN MR. MARTIN FOR FLASHDRIVE PURPOSES.
- Re-row the desks. Keep out your copy of "The Death of the Author."
- Starting with paragraph 4, share the PowerPoint slides. When the paragraphs that you did not work with last class are being presented, add to your annotations.
- MR. MARTIN WILL SCORE PRESENTATIONS AS PER THE GUIDELINES WRITTEN UP ON THE FRONT BOARD.
--Exemplars for #1 and #2 shared (written on board from homework collected at the beginning of the block)
--Mindfully complete question #3 and question #4 under "Step #3" of the "Reading Nonfiction Document" for "The Death of the Author." Expect to finish working with Barthes' text next class.