--Take out your copy of "The Death of the Author" and pick up an index card from the front table. On the index card, answer the following question in no more than two sentences: What is the main idea of "The Death of the Author" (the chief point the writer makes about the subject to which all other ideas and details relate)? IN YOUR RESPONSE, YOU MUST PROPERLY USE ONE OF THE UNIT #7 VOCABULARY WORDS, WHICH ARE WRITTEN UP ON THE FRONT BOARD.
S. the C.
--The following students should see Mr. Martin briefly after class about their CWPs:
- Scysh Velociraptor Maloish
- Mickey Mouse
--oral reading of "The Death of the Author" again in its entirety--a text at this diffictuly level becomes clearer and clearer and clearer with each read
"Pair"/Share (continued from last block) -- Roland Barthes' "The Death of the Author" (1967)
- Mr. Martin shares the PowerPoint slides titled "Conclusions Drawn from the First Paragraph of Roland Barthes' 'The Death of the Author'" again as a model for the forthcoming group work task.
- Get in groups based on same paragraph number (4, 5, 6, or 7) and pick up one laptop per group.
- In groups (not pairs--a misnomer [hence the use of quotations!]), share your bulleted notes in order to create a master list of notes in PowerPoint to share with the class. In fact, assign someone to be the "typer"--this person will create the PowerPoint slide(s) on the computer.
- Once the notes are finished, come to a consensus about who is responsible for sharing what when going over the notes in front of the rest of the class.
- AS YOU WORK, MR. MARTIN WILL RETURN YOUR VOCABULARY QUIZZES FROM THE WEEK BEFORE LAST (AND THEN RE-COLLECT THEM ALMOST IMMEDIATELY THEREAFTER), AND IN BLOCK 2, MR. MARTIN WILL HAND OUT THE INCENTIVE EARNED BASED ON THE PERFORMANCE OF YOUR CLASS.
- WHEN YOUR GROUP FINISHES, FLAG DOWN MR. MARTIN FOR FLASHDRIVE PURPOSES.
- Re-row the desks. Keep out your copy of "The Death of the Author."
- Starting with paragraph 4, share the PowerPoint slides. When the paragraphs that you did not work with last class are being presented, add to your annotations.
Closure ("Clearing") Activity -- Roland Barthes' "The Death of the Author" (1967)
--Oral reading of document conducted for the purposes of familiarization/clarification--this document will drive our nonfiction reading for the remainder of the school year
--HW Time (alone or in pairs)
--Finish preparing for the Unit #7 vocabulary quiz, which will take place at the beginning of next class (Thursday, 3/13). Don’t forget about the "Whimsical Words" or should-be-mastered words from previous units.
--Mindfully complete question #1 and question #2 under "Step #3" of the "Reading Nonfiction Document" for "The Death of the Author." Expect to continue working with Barthes' text again next class.