--Select a one-pager from the front of the classroom.
S. the C.
--agenda/HW/rationale for today's endeavors
--You should leave class today with...
- the Marking Period 3 and Marking Period 4 Free Reading Course Component completed
- two thoughtful comments selected for your Marking Period 4 report card
- a list of what to look for while reading Lord of the Flies in order to focus your active/purposeful reading.
- sample completed one-pagers shared--which is stronger and why?
- one-pager options pointed out
- selection of comments modeled
--complete one-pagers and comments document and turn in when finished
--students who have already completed or finish one-pagers will engage in free reading
--Grab a sheet from me at the front table.
"Gearing Up" Discussion Preparation (Phase 3) -- What to Look for in Lord of the Flies (Song Lyric Analysis)
--What is explication? (review)
--explication modeled by me with first stanza of each song
--engage in independent explication (focus on application of knowledge from Foster reading, imagery, and theme)
--Pick a parent (mom or dad)--what is his or her first name? Form a circle alphabetically accordingly. (My mom's name is Holly...just an FYI.) Bring to the circle the following items:
- your notebook
- your index card from two classes ago
- your annotated copy of "Are We Naturally Good or Bad?"
- your annotated copy of "Asch Experiment"
- your "Kid Nation 'Episode #1: I'm Trying to be a Leader Here!'" document
- your annotated copy of "Is That a Symbol?" and the "Novel Pre-reading--Purposeful Non-fiction Reading/'Gearing Up' Discussion" document
- your explicated song lyrics (poetry)
--engage in discussion about materials listed above in order to craft a list on the front board of "what to look for" in Lord of the Flies--COPY THIS LIST INTO YOUR NOTEBOOK (3/17--What to Look for in LotF)
HW (Class Participation)
--ALWAYS BRING YOUR FREE READING BOOK TO CLASS!
--Enjoy your time off--what a gift! Sharpen the Saw!
On the backburner:
- ACT nonfiction passages and multiple choice question