Tuesday, December 8, 2015

English 9--12/11/2015

Jump Off (5 mins.)
--Take out your copy of Saki's short story "The Interlopers."
--Read the text below, which is a retelling of part of Stage 4 of "St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves."  How does this version of the story "change things" for the reader?  Do you feel any differently than you did when you read this same section of the actual story?

I can’t see that well because this corner that I’m tied up in is so dark, but I can see my sister Claudette’s face well enough to know that she is not comfortable……at all.  I still don’t get why we’re here, in this terrible place.  I don’t get it……at all.
If I could, I would bound over to Claudette right now and try to comfort her.  I say “try” because lately, no matter what I say or do or how hard I try, she ignores me.  She’s been just plain mean.  I didn’t know what else to do earlier today, so I scratched her legs and my other sister Jeanette’s legs as hard as I could.  I was just trying to get them to understand that this place is turning them into something they’re not.  I even rolled over onto my back and showed them my belly, and when I did that, I wanted them to see how vulnerable I was, how vulnerable I still am.  Jeanette sort of paid attention to me, but Claudette just left.  I don’t care, though.  I love them both anyway, and I’d still do anything I can to help them, especially Claudette.  Before we came here, she and I were the closest out of everyone in our whole family.  But right now, I can’t do anything—I’m trapped.  If only I could chew my way out of these unnecessary, cruel restraints, but I barely have any teeth left…


S. the C. (8-10 mins.)
--discuss the "Jump Off"
--agenda/HW
--quietly and independently, respond to either question #2 or question #3 on page 89 of the "The Interlopers" story document--be prepared to potentially share your thoughts during today's initial discussion of the story
  • When you finish responding, take out your IRONY notes page and look it over in preparation for the upcoming assessment of your knowledge and understanding.
Assessment -- Irony (8-10 mins.)
Directions: 
  • For each of the following examples, if you think that the example is situational irony, hold up ONE finger.  If you think that the example is verbal irony, hold up TWO fingers.  If an example best fits dramatic irony, hold up THREE fingers.  Finally, if an example is in no way ironic at all, hold up a FIST.
  • Put your head down on your desk, listen to each example, and throw your hand up in the air!
1. I failed the test because I did not study.
2. Dave’s blood pressure medication gave him a heart attack.
3. Juliet took a sleeping potion, but Romeo, who has no idea, thinks that she is dead and hastily takes his own life.

4. The box of airdropped humanitarian aid landed on the refugee and crushed him to death.

5. I missed the job interview because I overslept.
6. “Thank you for this ticket, Officer. You just made my day.”

Share-Out/Discussion -- Saki's "The Interlopers" (Short Story #1 of the Romeo and Juliet Unit) (20-25 mins.--timer set!)
--Today's focus with "The Interlopers":  
  • "sealing the deal" with regard to the lesson from last class
  • reviewing and applying irony
  • reviewing and applying theme
  • beginning to "nail down" how authors deliberately use literary techniques (such as irony) to develop literary elements (such as theme)
--engage in sharing/discussion page-by-page-by-page as per annotations captured last class and the response you crafted during today's "S. the C." portion of the agenda ("sealing the deal" with regard to the lesson from last class)
  • contributions to both of today's discussions will be assessed via the "Discussion Contribution Rating Scale"--How can we live in "4 Land"?
  • students come up to the SMART Board to share (volunteers) :)
Transition (2 mins.)
--Pick up the "Romeo and Juliet Unit--'The Interlopers' Day 2--Application/Discussion Questions" document from the front table.

Application Activity/Closure Discussion -- Saki's "The Interlopers" Day 2--Application/Discussion Questions (remainder of class time)
--directions read aloud
--groups of three formed via a drawing of cards
--work time
--closure discussion (via a drawing of cards--time permitting)
  • reviewing and applying irony
  • reviewing and applying theme
  • beginning to "nail down" how authors deliberately use literary techniques (such as irony) to develop literary elements (such as theme)
HW (Class Preparation)
--If you and your group members were unable to fully complete the "'The Interlopers' Day 2--Application/Discussion Questions" document, please do so prior the beginning of next class (Tuesday, 12/15).  Expect an assessment of your knowledge and understanding sometime in the near future!
--By the beginning of next class (Tuesday, 12/15), you are expected to have a free reading book selected for the next two marking periods.  You are expected to have the book with you next class and also every day that we meet from now until the end of Marking Period 4.  Please see me if you would like some help getting a suitable book picked out (as the whole purpose of free reading is enjoyment).
Miscellaneous
--FYI: Next week is a "Grammar Hammer" week!
--Expect to take a break from the Romeo and Juliet Unit in order to reflect upon your performance on the End-of-Mini-Unit Assessment for "St. Lucy's..." and work on improving your academic writing skills!