--Pick up the following items from the front table:
- the "Questions to Ask Yourself When You Are Assigned a Writing Task" document
- the "Thematic Writing Assignment--Partner Interviews" assignment sheet (if you do not already have a copy)
- the "Article of the Week #1 (9/14-9/18)" document
- Write your first and last name on a Post-it Note. Then, stick the Post-It to your "Artifact Bag." Finally, turn in your bag by placing it in the appropriately labeled box located at the front of the classroom. If you have already turned in your "Artifact Bag," but it is not labeled, label it via a Post-It.
- Purposefully read the "Questions to Ask Yourself When You Are Assigned a Writing Task" sheet. Then, purposefully read the "Thematic Writing Assignment--Partner Interviews" assignment sheet and respond to the "Questions..." questions accordingly. Your goal here is to fully "wrap your mind around" our first writing assignment of the school year.
- Open your notebook to a clean page. Put today's date (9/15/2015) in the lefthand margin and label the page "Thematic Writing Assignment--Partner Interviews." Then, based on memory from past English courses and/or the assistance of your "English 10 Honors--Literature and Nonfiction Terms/Concepts--2015-2016 School Year" document, define the literary concept "theme statement" in your own words. Be prepared to share and discuss your definition later on during today's class block.
- Finally, purposefully read the information located in the box at the top of the page of the Article of the Week #1 document. Then, continue reading the article as directed.
--If you agree with the items on the student commitments list and are ready to do your best committing to the items, sign your name below the poster.
Teambuilder/Research/Writing Workshop -- Thematic Writing Assignment--Partner Interviews (20-25 mins.)
--process through the assignment analysis work completed during the "Jump Off"
--information shared about the Cumulative Writing Portfolio (blog post)--THIS FIRST ASSIGNMENT WILL BE INCLUDED WITHIN THE PORTFOLIO
--What is a theme statement?
--gather additional information about your partner (yet AGAIN--now with a better understanding of the assignment!)--DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE DIRECT QUOTATION COMPONENT OF THE ASSIGNMENT!
Literacy Activity -- Article of the Week #1 (15-20 mins.)
--share rationale behind the Article of the Week (PowerPoint)
--What is our purpose when we read this article?
--independent active reading (continued)
Discussion -- Important Information Document (Block 2 only--time-permitting)
--Q & A
Teambuilding Activity -- Artifact Bags (time permitting)
--I hand a paper bag to random student--he/she then displays items from the bag one at a time, briefly describing what he/she is seeing
--owner of bag further describes, explains, shares anecdotes, etc. as a form of introduction to teacher/peers
--REPEAT THE PROCESS...
HW (Class Preparation)
--Finish working with your "English 10 Honors--Literature and Nonfiction Terms/Concepts" as directed and prepare for the following ASSESSMENT:
- mastery of the first twenty terms/concepts ("English 10 Honors--Literature and Nonfiction Terms/Concepts" document) next class (9/17)
HW (Take-Home Assessment)
--Finish your work with Article of the Week #1, which is due at the beginning of class next time (Thursday, 9/17). This task will include purposefully reading the directions in the box at the top of the page and completing your best work with regard to the directions. Good luck!
--The Thematic Essay Writing Assignment--Partner Interviews essay (your best effort) is due at the beginning of class on Tuesday, 9/29 typed in proper MLA format.
--Make sure to SEE ME if you have any questions about anything from today's class!