Friday, April 12, 2019

English 10--Writing an Academic Argumentative Essay--Notes for Moving Forward

When writing an academic argumentative essay, I need to make sure to...
  • "hook" my reader at the start of my introduction (maybe by way of an anecdote?)
  • use transition words (e.g., "first", "next", "finally", etc.) to guide my reader through the contents of my body paragraphs
  • use transition words (e.g., "also", "in addition to...and...", "finally", etc.) to acknowledge that each individual body paragraph is part of a greater whole
  • include concluding sentences at the end of each of my body paragraphs that remind my reader what I am ultimately arguing so that they do not lose sight of my essay claim
  • share the credentials had by a source of information
    • For example, if I share a direct quotation from James Smith, I need to let my reader know WHO HE IS that lends him credibility.
  • include a parenthetical reference for each of the source-based pieces of evidence that I use
  • not include a parenthetical reference if I introduce a piece of evidence with a clear signal phrase
    • For example, If I write the following, I do not also need the author's last name in parentheses after the quotation I use:
      • In Adam Hart's article published in the New York Times, he writes, "......" 
  • carefully use qualifying words (e.g., "most", "might", "usually", etc.) so that I accurately interpret/reason through the evidence
    • For example, will ALL people in society REALLY lose money if a significant change is made, or will MOST people?  Be precise.