--sit at desk with HW pass/index cards/marker
--purpose of HW pass
Jump Off (3 mins.)
--concept of the Jump Off explained (an in-the-door protocol we'll follow each class day this year)
--write name neatly on index card using marker--jot down group/band names and song titles on the back using pen or pencil
--pick a student to collect
Anticipatory Set (5 mins.)
--agenda/HW (Class Preparation)
--information about blog
Activity #1 -- Teacher Introduction/Teambuilding (15-20 mins.)
--I hand a paper bag to random student--he/she then displays items from the bag one at a time, briefly describing what he/she is seeing
--I further describe, explain, share anecdotes, etc. as a form of introduction (also referring to the "Who is Mr. Martin?" bulletin board)
--Transition--pick up a paper bag, the "Artifact Bag" sheet, and the "Letter to Mr. Martin" sheet from the front table
--purposeful oral reading of assignment sheets:
- Purpose: You should know exactly what to do between now and Monday, 9/14 (two classes from now) in order to succeed on your first two official assignments of English 9
- How can you attend to this purpose before, during, and after the upcoming oral reading block?
Activity #2 -- Take a Stand/Article of the Week (35-40 mins.)
--explanation of the protocol for Take a Stand (a quick activity we'll likely use often this school year):
- Momentarily, I will make a debatable statement:
- If you agree with the statement, STAND UP next to your desk.
- If you strongly agree with the statement, STAND ON your desk chair.
- If you disagree with the statement, STAY SEATED in your desk chair.
- If you strongly disagree with the statement, SIT ON THE FLOOR next to your desk.
--show your position
--cold-calling--students randomly selected to briefly explain their stance (no more than three sentences)
--Transition--pick up the "English 9--Article of the Week #1 (9/7-9/11)--2015-2016 School Year" document from the front table
--share rationale behind the Article of the Week (PowerPoint)
--purposeful oral reading of Article of the Week #1 (LZ Granderson's "We Need Year-Round School to Compete Globally") in order to answer the following closure question:
- What is LZ Granderson's main claim? In other words, what is the author of the text ultimately trying to argue?
- Write your name at the top of the lined side of your second index card. Then, answer the italicized question above in one-two complete sentences. Good luck!
--As soon as you have completed your best work, submit it to me at the front table along with your Article of the Week document, which we will continue working with in the future.
--While you are up at the front table, pick up the necessary HW materials:
- "Important Information" document
--set parameters for work time
--work on purposefully reading the "Important Information" document
HW (Class Preparation)
--Complete the "Artifact Bag" assignment as directed to turn in at the beginning of class on Monday, 9/14. I am looking forward to taking "breaks in the action" the next few weeks in order to use these bags for teambuilding!
--Purposefully read the "Important Information" document and bring the necessary materials to next class. Have your parent(s)/guardian(s) review the letter and the "Important Information" document. Bring the signature slip to turn in at the beginning of next class for a 100% Class Preparation grade.
--Be ready for an ASSESSMENT next class about the "Important Information" document.
HW (Take-Home Assessment)
--Complete the "Letter to Mr. Martin" assignment as directed to turn in at the beginning of class on Monday, 9/14. Make sure to do your best work!
--Make sure to SEE ME if you have any questions about anything from today's class!